[chirp_devel] When to include an alias?

Dan Smith
Sun Sep 4 08:33:20 PDT 2016

> How comprehensive do we want to be with alias models? Leixen sold the
> same exact radio (from everything I can see in the images they are a
> binary match) as both the VV-898S and VV-898E. Should I bother making
> an alias model for the 898E, or do we just markup the web page to note
> that we support the model and it matches the S? Aliases make a lot of
> sense when the vendor name or model are grossly different, but I'm not
> sure it's worth doing in this case.

I think the most important use for an alias is when the things are so
different that someone wouldn't think to use the right driver. Like, if
two manufacturers release the same radio under different names -- that's
a good reason. Just the trailing character is probably not a good
reason. I'd even say just drop the trailing character from the driver
itself to reduce confusion (i.e. name it VV-898, not VV-898S).

--Dan