[chirp_devel] Need help with tracing/logging serial communication

Patrick Strasser-Mikhail OE6PSE
Sun Oct 16 08:29:19 PDT 2016

Hello!

We are currently running an amateur radio license training and will
provide all successful participants (hopefully about 30) with Alinco DJ
500. The Alinco software does it's job, but I want to have support for
that model in CHIRP.
I'm happy to see that CHIRP is written in Python and does a very nice
job in doing all this bit and structure shuffling.

I have a running programming setup, that is the HT, original FTDI-based
USB Serial converter and the software, running in Virtualbox 4.3 both
Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 7 32 bit.
Now I followed
  http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/DevelopersAdd_a_Radio
and tried to get a trace of the communication while reading/writing the
channels.

Unfortunately Portmon 3.02, the last version that was published, does
not support Windows 7. I tried compatibility settings for XP, not
better. I tried Portmon in Windows XP, no trace possible. Portmon simply
does not offer to trace at all.

What are your experiences with working setup?
Which recommendations can you give me?

Best Regards

73 de Patrick OE6PSE
--
Engineers motto: cheap, good, fast - choose any two
Amateur Radio Operator / Ham / Funkamateur / QTH: JN77rb