[chirp_devel] #551 Add support for iC-7000 banks

Dean Gibson AE7Q
Fri Mar 29 13:47:04 PDT 2013

Well, as I posted in the "issues" system, the CI-V testing tools were
useful in figuring out how to access banks B-E (hexadecimal):

E0 70 1A 00 0x 00 yy

Where "x" is the bank number, and "yy" (packed decimal) is the memory
location.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that I found a package called
RumTool7000 (Windows, Linux, Mac) that works (and supports the five
banks) seamlessly for me (has very good .CSV file import/export), so my
need to spend significant development effort on this issue is near zero.

That having been said, just like with the my effort on the ID-51 (where
I also had a good alternate software solution), I would be glad to
assist in testing any work done on this issue.  It's just that there are
Chirp architectural issues (support multiple banks with multiple tabs
???) that need to be decided/coded by someone other than me.  Given that
the existing Chirp code already supports one bank, I'd think the need
for any further radio investigation would be near zero.

------------

By the way, I connect to the serial ports of all my radios (Icom and
Yaesu) not via a serial cable from my PC, but via Ethernet to a remote
Digi (www.digi.com) "PortServer TS4" 4-port Ethernet-to-serial converter
(there are 1, 2, 4, and 8 port versions).  In my case the network
connection is local, but there is no reason that the connection cannot
be via the Internet.  Digi provides free software that works on 7
variants of Windows (32 and 64 bit) and over 50 variants of Linux.

For Windows, it's a clean driver install and configuration;  for Linux,
you build the daemon from the source.  I had trepidation about the
latter, but it built and installed with just two "RPM" commands (I think
it's five commands if you download the tarball package), and
configuration was trivial.  Chirp, RumTool7000, HamRadioDeluxe, all the
Icom software, and even the above CI-V testing tool works across the
network.

This would be a very useful tool for you to have for remote testing.  I
obtained two of them (plus a similar Digi Ethernet-to-USB converter) on
eBay for about $50 each.  Mine are used regularly, and are not for loan.

So, while I don't think this project needs a remote developer to access
my IC-7000, if necessary, I could "port-forward" such remote access to
the PortServer if needed.  Actually, it would be an interesting thing to
try.

Sincerely, Dean

----------------

ps: Most of my access to my radios is on Windows 7 (64-bit), but for my
Icom ID-880H radios at my home, I wanted several radio features that
required GPS data to be sent to the radio:

 1. The radio's internal log of transmissions received, now get timestamps.
 2. The radio displays the time.
 3. The radio is able to transmit its "GPS" location to other D-Star
    radios, and they can capture my location and display the distance
    and direction to me.
 4. Similarly, my ID-880H radios can capture the GPS locations of other
    radios and display the distance and direction to them.

So, I wrote a 4-line bash script and an absolutely trivial NMEA checksum
program, and a Linux CRON job sends NMEA data to the radios once a
minute.  This low serial bandwidth overhead allows other programs on my
Windows box to easily capture the serial port when needed.