[chirp_devel] [UV-5R] Support for 144/220 Model and Band Expansion

The Silver Fox
Sun Mar 24 10:39:04 PDT 2013

My UV5RC is 296.

Alan - W6ARH

From: chirp_devel-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com
[mailto:chirp_devel-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Jim Unroe
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 9:51 AM
To: chirp_devel at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: Re: [chirp_devel] [UV-5R] Support for 144/220 Model and Band
Expansion

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com> wrote:

> What I have done works fine on my old BFB231 144/440 model. I'm ready
> to try it out on some other radios but I thought I'd come here and
> solicit some feedback before I asked for volunteers to test what I
> have done.

Doesn't the 220 radio use a different ident string during clone? If so,
we should be able to key off of that since we stash it in the image at
the top, right?

Dan,
If I understand what you are getting at, that changed with BFB291

This is my BFB231

0x0000 to 0x0007
AA 42 46 42 32 33 31 DD

42 = B
46 = F
42 = B
32 = 2
33 = 3
32 = 1

I believe the above is what you are referring to.

This is a BFB291 and newer (it is actually from a UV-5RAX BFB296 144/220
model)

0x0000-0x0007
AA 36 74 02 20 02 60 DD

36 = 136 MHz VHF lower band limit
74 = 174 MHz VHF upper band limit
02 20 = 220 UHF lower band limit
02 60 = 260 UHF upper band limit

These values change based on the OEM software band limits set in the Other
menu.

CHIRP should probably change them as well. I've been thinking about it but I
haven't been smart enough to figure it out how to do it yet (I had been
considering putting out a request for help).