[chirp_devel] #551 Add support for IC-7000 banks

Dean Gibson AE7Q
Sun Feb 24 09:53:31 PST 2013

On 2013-02-18 19:26, Dan Smith wrote:

>> ps: Now if someone can give me some hints as to how to add support
>> for banks "B" thru "E" on the IC-7000, I will be really happy (# 551)
> The CIV drivers are a bit messy, but it shouldn't be that hard. I'd
> guess one of the zero bytes is the bank number, so I'd just start
> incrementing them one at a time until you get back a B-bank memory :)

Questions:

 1. Yes, that's what I thought I'd try as well.  Does Chirp include a
    tool to send random CI-V commands to the IC-7000, and display the
    results?  I thought I remembered seeing such a tool somewhere ...
 2. On the Icom D-Star radios, you treat the successive 100-entry memory
    banks as one large contiguous bank;  a good idea for those radios.
    However, the IC-7000 has five 99-entry banks, so I think making them
    contiguous might make for confusing numbering of the memory.  The
    alternative of creating a bogus entry to make the numbers "match"
    (which is what I would do if it was just me using the software),
    would work but could introduce confusion as well.  Creating a
    separate memory tab for each bank would be best, but I don't know
    how to do that, and that involves an architectural design issue that
    should be consistent across radios, I'd think.
 3. I haven't done anything to my Chirp repository since I submitted
    id51.py.  While I can blow away the repository and get a new copy,
    my guess is that's not the best way.  What method do you recommend?
    HG "revert" or "update"?
 4. [change of subject]  Yes, the D-Star callsign "tag" field is missing
    from id31.py.  I'll create a bug, fix it, and submit it.

-- Dean