[chirp_devel] Repeaterbook.com

bobg at w2cyk.net
Wed May 18 18:32:10 PDT 2011

Bob here...developer of RFinder...

> Have anyone here looked at repeaterbook.com at all?

>>Heh, free, a sane web interface, and they have an iOS app too.  I wonder

>>how comprehensive the database is.  It also makes me wonder what the
>>RFinder value proposition will be :)

Honelstly I never saw it before...it isn't found easily on search
engines...my first impression is that it is similar paradigm to the ARRL
Repeater Dir...his sitename is self descriptive...our db is geolocation
enbabled...I did not look deeply into his data but at first glance he is
not geolo enabled as when I drilled into his data there were no
lat/Lon's...mapping seems approximate and based on city.

RFinder for iOS code cuts this summer.

> It also has some areas that need work.  The guy who wrote the site
> is a self-taught php developer.  He's been pretty open to the
> suggestions/changes that I've proposed.

>>It returns queries semi-instantly, so at least he has a grasp on the
>>backend. There is some information in there on "paper repeaters" in my
>>area that are coordinated, but never got put up. Looks like some of the
>>data was imported from the local coordination body (gotta get it
>>somehow, I suppose).

His queries are quick...that is our weakness and we are addressing that.
We will change our DB this summer...the web services will be functionally
the same so there will be no front end programming changes (I think,
LOL)....we prototyped this but did not expect the popularity we have
achieved in 6 weeks...600 users already!!! We were trying to get out the
gate...bottom line we know there is a performance issue and it is being
addressed.

> There are a couple of export formats currently supported. I think we
> have a reasonable chance of getting chirp csv export format added.
> (Chirp native xml is in the range of possibilities too of course)

>>That would be great. Maybe you can bring it up if you already have a
>>relationship with him? It'd be even nicer to have a web services
>>interface to the query, but that would cut down on his ad revenue.

While I love a good competition, our scope is different from his...we are
creating the first Worldwide Repeater Directory...I don't belittle
anyone's previous attempts at creating online repeater databases, but we
are not regional.  The data is user maintained (on the android platform
you can request changes to an entry, and hopefully by the weekend add a
new repeater...this will migrate out to interactive web and web service).
If you want something on RFinder's back end, just ask.  We are already a
web service.  We started there...interactive web is not our primary
interface although it exists from and admin perspective right now and will
be end after we change DB's.  I don't want to sound like a megalomaniac,
but....One Master Database.  Please support this...for obvious reasons.
'Nuff said.

> There are lots of repeater databases out there, but most seem to
> have put little to no thought into the data maintenance process.

>>Yeah, I've just never been one to preload my radio like that before
>>traveling, so I'm usually not on the lookout for stuff like this.  I
>>guess some people are, though.

We put end user maintenance in within a week of publishing to the market.
By user request. Again, we will allow adding interactively.  We have
adding by batch already although it is an email process currently.  We
have been asked by reps of Chile, Brazil, Israel, Switzerland, South
Africa and Sweden so far to work with them on improving the data.  We have
provided their data in our spreadsheet format for them to edit and
return...all are done except SA and Sweden.

> All the effort seems to go into the GUI and the database/site quickly
> looses relevance as the data slowly rots.
 >
> Thoughts?  Comments?

>>Yeah, the RFinder guys seem to have no consistency checks in the data
>>they put in (or imported, or whatever). Tone values with transposed
>>digits and what-not. Does the repeater book site handle that better?
>>Requiring a human editor is a nice idea, but weeding out invalid tones
>>and things of that sort is much better done in code, I'd say.

We have been working over the last couple of weeks to fix inconsistencies
in the data.  We have an algorithm worked out to fix the PL's.
Our data is sourced from dozens of places....once Dan pointed out the
inconsistencies with the PL's our new mode is to validate on import.  We
have to retroactively fix what's wrong though.  Work in progress.

>>Unless nobody finds it interesting/useful, I think the integrated
>>RFinder client functionality in chirp is still worthwhile.  Would you
>>agree, or not?

I sure hope you guys understand we are in this for the long haul.  We are
developing a solid business model on it that will allow for its
improvement and continued development.  Creating and maintaining RFinder
and The Worldwide Repeater Directory is not a hobby.  In order for it to
be truly successful it cannot be.  Amateur Radio on Earth needs it.
It's not perfect and may never be, but we will do our best to make it
great.  Thanks for your support.

RFinder - The Worldwide Repeater Directory
Bob Greenberg
W2CYK
516.807.0697 Mobile
631.594.2555 Desk/Mobile Simulring